Monday, July 13, 2009

A Rambutan got Fined :(

“…..why can’t you do that?” my wife

“Because I am a law abiding citizen” me

“If that is the case, it will be very difficult for you live in this world”

“You started seeing me some 11 years ago…Before that too, for about 30 years I was living in this world just like this”

“Why are you shouting?” To son “your dad is in a bad mood from the time he got into the car”

"And look at the way YOU are talking.."

(she was poking me for every word she said)

That was yesterday…yesterday is past…

Today is today and it’s a new day…but still I am the same law abiding citizen, you know.

I had a lot of chores to attend. I wrote it down in a small slip and started ticking it out one by one….one of the items was

Buy Rambutan

I had inquired with a fruit seller the other day about Rambutan and he said it will come next day. But the problem is this guy’s shop is about 7 km away from my home. So today I decided to buy some. Oh man it is really costly. 200 bucks for a kilo. So far, my Rambutan memories were sweet and now that this price tag is adding something sour to it. But I swear I did not feel jealous about a friend of mine who has even a small ‘Rambutan plantation’ of her own in her native place (Laguna). If the Rambutan I bought were exported by her, she better return my money..grrrrrr

I was thinking whether I should try one while driving or not. Then I decided that I will eat one as soon as I reach home. I proceeded to my next destination with lots of Rambutan memories that took me miles and miles away and that made me feel happy.

I was waiting at a traffic signal. The light became green and vehicles started moving. I was just behind a government bus. As soon as I crossed the light, I heard some beep sounds and then looked at the light…it was Red….it looks like the camera caught me…I am sure about that bus. Since it’s a government transport bus, nothing will happen to the bus or driver. But what about me? will I receive a notice very soon? I got a little worried. I really didn’t mean to jump the signal. I wasn’t able to see the light since I was just behind a tall bus…

With this thought in my mind, I moved on and reached another cross. I was bit cautious this time. I need to go to the right and I saw a ‘No Entry’ board ahead of me. There was small road ahead of me and I thought may be we are not supposed to go ahead and hence I turned right. When I proceed a few meters, there stands a policeman. He asked me to stop the car. I parked my car and approached the Inspector with my papers. He smiled at me. That was a real shock to me coz usually these guys are rude, corrupt and non-co-operative. And he said:

“Sir, I don’t stop vehicles unnecessarily. There is no right turn from there..you have violated two rules.”

“Two?” asked me.

“Yes.. Obstructing traffic and breaking No Entry…so, you have to pay 200 rupees. Will you pay?”

“Is there any other choice?” I asked

“ No” he smiled at me

“Then I will pay. But Sir, I really did not know that there is no right turn”

(There was right turn sometime back and it looks like this new rule came after there came a new fly-over near that road.)

“OK, I will do one thing. I will make it 100. And charge you for the No Entry”

He asked me to handover my license and said he don’t need the registration paper or insurance (how sweet !). These guys have got new Blackberry equipment which can generate a receipt and keep the data on a centralized computer system. Thus they can find out how many times a particular person broke rules. After some limited time, the drivers’ license will get cancelled.

“Thank you sir….sorry for the trouble” I said to him. He smiled again (No wonder he is in traffic and not in law and order)

……wife came back from work

“See, this is what happens when you break rules…”

No comments from her..(it could be because she was hungry)

See, even law abiding citizens get fined…

What was the cost of Rambutan? 200 bucks per kg...What was the fine? 200 bucks !

This world is…

No comments: