Thursday, August 27, 2009

Creatine and Migraine..

Can supplementing with Creatine monohydrate result in migraine headaches?

Well, I think it can. It has something to do with the body type also. Some people require more water than many others (like me). If such people has the history of migraine too, one has to be a little more careful with Creatine. Why coz, the presence of creatine forces the muscles to draw more water into it. If there is not enough water, it draws it from blood causing a pressure imbalance that can trigger migraine (remember that migraine is a vascular issue). And hence one has to drink lots of water. For people with the history of migraine plus need more water should drink at least 3-4 liters of water if supplementing with creatine. Says who?

Says me. I did not read any research paper on this but I did a research on my body at my cost. And it’s a fact. When I started getting migraine on a regular basis, I started keenly observing my diet. And found that the nutritional supplement I was taking had creatine. Then one can ask, a supplement can contain many things and creatine is just one among them. So, how can we conclude that creatine is the culprit?

Easy. Stop that supplement and take creatine alone for a short period. And I did that. I took 5 gram of creatine per day and experimented with different quantities of water intake and found out that the quantity of water we drink has a lot to do with the migraine we get (and the muscle cramps, obviously). When I tried very little of creatine and lots of water, it did not end up in migraine. That means creatine may not be a direct trigger for migraine.

Well, I stopped playing with creatine when my doc told me that I am playing with my own kidneys since creatine is excreated through kidneys (urine) and not through stools. So, if you are supplementing with creatine, drink lots and lots of water, plain water. IT IS A MUST. Else you might end up damaging your kidneys (yes, I know, the manufacturers too ask us to drink enough water).

And there is one very important thing about supplements. If you have doubts about supplements, ask a medical doctor and not your fitness trainer.

No comments: