Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back to Badminton...but

Long after the ligament tear (after a break of one and a half years), I returned to badminton court to give it a try. I requested my gym coach to come with me to give some practice to observe how the knee reacts. We tossed the birdie for some time and it made me soooooooooo happy. I could not sleep that night because of the excitement.

I was surprised to see the way my gym coach played. About one and a half years back (that was the time I started learning badminton and it ended even before I could play 20 hours in total), I used to beat him in singles and now I am nowhere near him. He got sculptured into a fine player and I came to know that he already beat many of them who ‘taught’ him how to play.

I got chance to practice for two weekends (about 15 minutes for each session) and then the court wasn’t free for exclusive use. So, I played some double games with others. I used to tell them that I had a ligament tear and I am still struggling and hence I am unable to move fast or take net-shots by leaning forward (body weight shifts to our front leg). The result was amazing !

My opponents started targeting me. They placed the shuttle in such a way that I have to run or lean. Once I even got smashed on my eye (and I had to consult an eye doctor). Thus, some people started thinking that they lost the game because of me. Some got irritated. And yes, there were couple of them who said ‘ its OK’.

Once, a lady who was playing against me smiled when I missed couple of easy shots. I could not take it because I had to run. But her smile irritated me and so I told her:

“Don’t smile, I will hit next time”

“You hit” she responded

I missed once again and she laughed and told me

“You should play like that, OK?”

“Sure” I replied

I missed another one too and she repeated it again

“Like that, OK?”

“Yes” I said.

Though I smiled, inside me, it was kind of rage. But we lost the game. I said we will play one more game. And I this time I played madly and hardly missed any return shot. We won for 15-7. Then I smiled at her and I told her that I was playing with injury. But what was the real result?

I ended up with ice pack and rest for two days…the pain stricken back.

God, why is this world like this? Where is his answer?

The other day, there came two kids. One was 15 and another one 17. The 15 year old boy plays really well. He spent some time playing with me giving tips and correcting my mistakes. And last Sunday, I was sitting with my racket without any company. That 17 year old (he knows about my knee issue) came and asked

“You want to play badminton?”

He did not trouble me with his skills…He did not made me run..We did not play as a game and hence nobody won, nobody lost..

May be that was His answer…

No comments: