Monday, May 26, 2008

Google Talk and Multi-users

I am not a computer expert. I am not bad at it too. But some times I get computer related questions from some of my acquaintances or friends (are they really?). Since I don’t mind spending some time for them, many a times I was helpful to them. The other day I was thinking about it. Should I write a separate blog for technical matters or should I write here itself? I still am in confusion and hence this time I am writing here.

It was about gtalk and multiple ids. Many yahoo users used to use yahoo multi for this purpose. Actually, that is not an application provided by yahoo and in many cases, it had malicious codes injected in it. Is there any such application for Gtalk?

Fortunately, for Gtalk, there is no need to have a third party application, if you want to run two instances at a time. We can call the same exe file with a switch. The easy method is to create a shortcut for separate ids.

For example, if we have two google ids named myid1 and myid2, we need to create two shortcuts like this (by default, google installs to this path, it depends on how you installed, anyway, choose the right path)…

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe" /nomutex"

While browsing for the exe file during the process of creating the short cut, we reach till ‘googletalk.exe’ and then we need to add the switch “/nomutex”

Name one as Myid1 and the second as Myid2 (or whatever name we want). Now we have two shortcuts for the googletalk application. These two can be used at a time. Just double click, logon.

Yes, this can be called from the command prompt also, which is inconvenient.

No comments: