Thursday, May 01, 2008

ISRO, Me and Satellites


There was this domination in satellite launching by Europe, Russia and the US. But India now became a strong competitor by launching 10 satellites in a single stretch. On 28th of April, the Polar satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) – C9, carried two Indian satellites and 8 others for the international customers (built by Canada, Japan, Germany, Denmark, and Netherlands). So far, India launched sixteen satellites for international customers. Hats off to ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization).





(photo courtesy ISRO)


The rocket was launched from Sriharikota. When I hear that name, the first incident that comes into my mind is of me sitting in my office about 12 years ago and my boss’s brother entering the office in a hurry. He looked tired. He was coming from Sriharikota , after a rocket launch. He was working with ISRO as a scientist. His wife was working with me and I was her right hand man in computers. I said

“congrats” and in reply he said “thanks”… His wife immediately went with him (to home) handling over all her jobs to me.

We had a good relationship, me and my boss’s this brother. Not just he, when I was working with that firm, I got acquainted with many scientists from ISRO. And I learnt many computer related things and tips from many of them. (Later on, when we needed a proprietary software, one of them developed it for us ..well, it wasn’t free ..and he wrote that in Borland C). This happened coz, we had lots of clients from ISRO and most of them happened to be scientists.

Those days are gone…. But since I had some ‘special’ connection with ISRO, I have a special proud in ISRO’s success and I wish them all the best for their Moon Mission, the Chandrayaan-1…



No comments: