Friday, June 19, 2009

Jay goes Jakarta?

Last weekend, I visited my wife’s one of the colleagues. They were living some 10 km away. Usually, when we visit somebody, we carry some gift (mostly sweets). We stopped at a mall near that guy’s house to buy some sweets. At the entrance there were some guys holding some ‘lucky coupons’ and asked us to fill it up and drop it in a box. I did not fill it properly (left work and income related questions).

Yesterday night, I got a call from somebody:

“Can I speak to Mr.Jayaram?”

“Yes, speaking”

“Sir, did you drop a lucky coupon in at the < > mall?”

“Yes, I did”

I thought he wanted me to provide further information, but

“Your coupon won the contest and we are offering a trip to Indonesia or Goa or Kerala”

“Thank you…but is there any conditions apply?”

I was suspicious.

“The only condition is that this is only for couples and hence you must come with your wife to collect the prize, tomorrow at 3 pm. You have to attend a programme here which will take about one hour. Can you make it?”

“Yes, I think I can”

My wife was sitting in the same room when I was speaking to that guy. So, she asked, what it was. I told her the story and she said sarcastically:

“I am not coming and you take some other lady with you, if you want”

Yes, it was a working day and she can’t make it, actually I forgot that when I made such a commitment to that guy who called me. Wife doesn’t really believe in this contest and she thinks there is some catch. I don’t know..

Today morning, that guy called me up again to confirm my presence and I said:

“Sorry, I will not be able to come with my wife”

He said if I want, I can send a couple of my choice to receive the prize (and they need to travel not me).

What is real and what is not?

After the shower (yes, I shampooed my hair), I stood in front of the mirror and it looked like I have lots of hair on my head. And I told myself:

“Man, it can’t be real, can it?”

No comments: