Saturday, June 16, 2007

Me and Religions II

I had taken up a Bible course (well two in fact) and lived like a Christian during and sometime after that course. I wasn’t testing Jesus but I believed in him as an incarnation of love and offered all my prayers only to Jesus. My desk was filled with Christian literatures, and pamphlets. One was from an international Bible school from the U.S and other one was from a Kerala (my native State in India) based Bible school.

(Did any person influence me to turn my head towards Christianity? Some people asked me who is behind you….and one of my cousins suspected my then Guitar tutor who used to play guitar in many gospel bands (local ones)…he taught me chords for some popular gospel songs and was ready to introduce me to some gospel band. He was like a brother to me and I called him adding ‘ichayan’ with his name, which means elder brother and that’s the way the Christians in my State used to address their elder brothers. But was he the man behind me? Nope, then who was it? It’s a secret…lol)

The international course did not provide me any personal attention. They did not clear my doubts directly but provided me some Indian address and asked me to contact them and insisted me to get baptized. Their business was over!

The other one was carried out by a humble man who really believed in Jesus, it seems. He too made a living by selling so many books on Christianity written by him, and I bought whatever books he suggested (I bought about 8-10 books). He gave me replies in his own handwriting (I was touched that time) for whatever I asked. And when the course was over, he just sent blessings and asked me to keep Christian values in my life and he did not ask me to get baptized.

That time, I was 27-28 years of age. I decided to marry a Christian girl. In India, even now, matrimonial ads are quite popular. I drafted an ad which read I am a Hindu but invites proposals from Christian girls. And went to the matrimonial section of the “Malayala Manorama’ daily, which is considered as a Christian news paper but read also by many secular people like me. When the clerk saw my ad (who was a Christian), he smiled at me and asked what is wrong with me!!!

No comments: