Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tuesday With Jay

One of my friends asked me why I am not writing anything in my blog these days….

Then again another one comes with the same question. Third one asked 'you have any update?'

The answer is - Well, I wasnt in a good mood.....Somebody close to me wasnt feeling well.

I thank every one of you for reading my blog….

Yesterday was a ‘blessed’ day…I recovered from that moodless state and started proceeding towards my mood with boosted enthusiasm, but at the end …………another sleepless night and got thrown away to another flavor of moodlessness. If the previous one gave anxiety and helplessness, the second one gave pain…..

My wife came back from office in a bad mood and I was sitting in a worse mood. She stared at me and asked ‘ again?” ….

I just sighed

But a blessing came in the form of a cricket match. India won the ICC Twenty20 World Cup that too defeating Pakistan. I was able to witness that moment.

But at night spiders came in my dream…. I woke up with sudden shock and a pumping headache…icing on the cake

(Look spiders, there are lots of people who loves you, why don’t you enter into there dream and bless their night?)

I woke up (with slight headache) but the day did not start as usual….I thought day might start as usual if I wait, but did not; it became worse…

Went to gym for a relief and change …cud not do much….but I did not give up…there weren’t anybody to say ‘ yes, come on’ and gimme a pat …so I said that and gave a pat to myself. ..

Back home….Took my laptop and checked mails and the first mail read:

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things.
The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others……"


– Extracts from Tuesdays with Morrie

I read it aloud and told my wife “ This is one of < >’s favorite books”

She did not listen a thing but said “look, you are possessive and …….”

I did not have any answer….

Then I thought about my friends. And there came the memory of this friend….

I met him when I was doing my first year graduation. I was doing a house to house contact program in connection with some social event. There he stands outside his house, smiling…he was wearing very thick eye glasses. He was heavily built….he wasn’t tall…though young he had a big belly….had lots of hair in his hand and chest but less hair on his head…he was a small time wrestler and rowdy during his school days..

One day he joined us and became part of our political and social organization. He was very friendly, he can mingle with any kind or person, always ready to smile and help…..he cracked jokes, he teased others…and I liked him

We became sort of friends but he had lots of other friends…..I started visiting his house and he used to visit mine…he became a family friend of mine…..we all liked him, me, my mother, sister……

Though he teased others a lot, I observed he can not tolerate somebody teasing him….

Our friendship was something different….he had two sets of friends and one with whom he used to drink and then this on the other side, a group, where I belonged, which contained young men who did not drink or smoke ( at least that time) .…I understood that his mother and father did not like the other set of friends…

His mom used to make tea for me (she sometimes used to tell her son ‘look at him and learn’ refereeing to me) ……and he used to tease me in this way ‘mom, if any tea is left, don’t worry, jay is here’….those days, I used to drink lots of tea….his uncle was the Vice President of Unilever and thus they always had a good stock of first quality tea…..his dad was a Botany Professor, who also loved plants and mom a house wife…well reputed family….all his relatives were in high positions…..he had a great name in his locality and had he stood for the elections, he would have bagged all the votes from his area…

But his parents were not satisfied with this lazy, obese boy who wasn’t good at studies who never showed any interest in taking up a job or they never had any idea what he is upto.

Days passed and this funny fear about him developed in me….I used to stay at home bare-chested sometimes. One day this guy came and said ‘wow what biceps’ ...I fell ill after a couple of days….then another day, for fun, I clutched my hands around his hip and lifted him up who then weighed 90 Kgs (198 pound)…”you are strong”…..I fell ill again…. since I wasn’t superstitious I did not bother but this happened many times and this was too much of a co-incidence!!!!

The most memorable moment about him was when my dad died. He was with me when my dad died. I still remember that hug…he holding my hand…and me telling him that I want a glass of water…..dad’s death created some technical issues at the hospital and referred for post-mortem and we had to wait till next day to get the body…..he stayed with me the whole night, without sleeping (much), though he wasn’t feeling well…

He arranged a job for me and he himself messed it up!!!…..then I took up a job and our ways got separated, I was mostly at office and with my colleagues and him with some others. But I used to visit him whenever I got a chance….

I left that city after marriage, we happened to be in this city only once….heard that he got his share of property from his parents and thus got lot of money with him….drinking became his habit….

Some years passed one day I got a call from my native place (don’t remember whether it was my sister or one of my cousins) and said “that friend of yours committed suicide”….

I don’t know why, but today I missed him too.

****
Sleepless nights gives you lots of thoughts……same if you have a headache... funny are the ways our mind work....

****

If one is in search of God, one is going away from Him……But if you don’t search for Him, you will not find Him !!!!

****

Today I remembered this story

Two monks were traveling on a rainy day. They reached a river. There they saw a beautiful girl who was struggling to cross the river. Seeing this, one of the monks carried her over to the other side. The girl thanked him and gone.

But the other monk did not talk to him at all till they reached their monastery. Then he asked

“Why did you do that? We monks are not supposed to touch women “

“But I left her there itself” answered the other monk!!!

****

Good Night Jay !!

No comments: