Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sleeping On The Moon

Some day during Jan-Feb 2006

Dear....

. . .
. . .

Sometimes it can be my neighbors’ dog, which troubles me. Sometimes even an aero plane………………… But most of the time, it is my mind which is playing tricks with me. I even tried self-hypnosis and white sound (this still goes on) and hot milk before retiring.

Whether you believe it or not, it has something to do with other planets also (especially moon, though it is just a moon).

When I said this to many rational and scientific minded people (who didn’t consider that I love science than commerce) laughed at me. I asked one of them ‘do you know how tides happen?’

He started with “the moon…….”

I said,

“ if that silly moon can influence that much of water why can’t it influence a silly and small man? Why do asthmatic people suffer more on full moon? Why do some bees sting without any provocation during full moon? And do you know the word Lunatic is derived from Lunar? "

He didn’t answer me but smiled at me and gave a look which said 'this-stupid-will-never –understand'.

Scientists call this ‘Full moon effect’, or explain this as our hormonal reaction to increased positive ions occurring during full moon (but why?). Astrologers put it in a different way, that’s all. And as with everything, each and every human reacts differently to one single thing. Like, acetaminophen is helpless in controlling pain in me; (.........) will get a diarrhea if he take Papaya; one of my old buddies – he is no more – used to get sneezing if he eat a type of banana; some people enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke and it triggers a migraine in many; some people cant stand in high altitudes-I saw one guy being sent back to base camp during my high altitude trek-; There is a man who has dark blue/sort of black colored blood – his name is Mohan and electricity has no effect on him and he makes his living by his shows using high voltage electricity - ….As with everything, we generalize things to come to some conclusion and leaves a space for exceptions.

There are about 20 types of bacteria in our mouth (may be not all at a time). They don’t know where they live. They even don’t know that it has an influence on us. We play the role of a perfect eco system for many living organisms. In many case, both don’t know that the other exists. I can say no molecule exists, as I have not seen it or studied up to a molecular level. I can live with that belief, till I die. But in reality, it exists. We can damage a computer hard disk without opening the case, without anybody noticing it. We can do the same thing with a digital camera, using just magnetism and sometimes even sound (created electronically). So, one has something to do with the other, whether they know it or not.

When I suggested to consult a homeopath for a particular problem, one person said ‘ I don’t believe in homeopathy’. I didn’t say anything. But this thought came to my mind that time. Take some castor oil and have a cup of hot water and just believe that nothing will happen and start your day. But the problem is one need to carry adult diapers as mobile toilets are not available. You take 60mg of phenobarbitone and believe that nothing will happen. But it will make you sleep. In both cases stuffs went to your stomach and belief didn’t help.

.....
......


Rgds,

Jay

No comments: