Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ayurveda

I was not feeling well a couple of weeks ago. When a friend of mine asked, I happened to say the word ‘Ayurvedic’ medicine. And he wasn’t aware of what Ayurveda is. Or what Homoeo is. So what is Ayurveda?

Ayurveda is the (traditional) medicine branch of India. It has a different approach than the Modern medicine. We can say it is herbal based. The Indian system of medicine believes in holistic treatment. Sometimes it is combined with Yoga.

But even many Indians don’t know the depth of Ayurveda. What I mean here is, it even has got an explanation how our body forms. But this aspect is not at all popular even here. Most of them believe it just treats illness.

When I move my right hand, you might say ‘Jay is moving his right hand’. When I scratch my nose, you might say ‘Jay is scratching his nose’. So, its Jay’s nose, Jay’s hand, Jay’s head, Jay’s eyes etc etc

And finally, when I die, you say ‘ Jay’s dead body’……so, its Jay’s dead body…..that means Jay’s body is dead. So where did Jay go?

Here my point is, there is ‘something’ within us. If that something is gone, we all are nothing but dead bodies. For the time being, for my convenience, let me call it as ‘spirit’. And if you have another picture of what a spirit is, its OK. No issues. I just want to address that ‘something’ and for that I need to name it. It is nothing but a form of energy.

When a spirit ( a small energy element, which is part of the BIG energy) longing for expressing itself , it uses the ‘Satwa’ or the subjective consciousness to manifest into mind and the sense organs. Then it projects into a physical body. For that purpose it uses the ‘Pancha Bhuta’ or the five eternal elements – they are Akash (Space), Vayu (Air ), Jal (Water), Agni (Fire), and Prithvi (Earth), all arise from Tamas.

Body works as a medium for the mind to experience the objects in this world, using Rajas, through the sense organs.

Now what about the illness? It is because of the imbalance of ‘Tridosha’ (three basic physical energies). Ayurveda believes that Tridosha is responsible for both physiological and psychological things that happens within our body and mind

What is Tridosha?

Good Night, ciaoooooooooooooooooooo

No comments: