Thursday, November 08, 2007

Everything Has Its TIME !

A friend of mine told me she will kill me…. In another context I said about buddy time and death.

But it was always as a joke. Death was one thing I happened to think about this week. So what is the serious part in it?

When I took up the Bible lessons, they mostly dealt with New Testament. But since the Bible I bought was a complete one (there are many communities which distribute only New Testament and I had a couple of such versions), I was bit curious about the Old Testament. And I had this thought of ‘how can Bible be complete without Genesis?’ I should have asked this to my then best friend who believed only in New Testament (and considered the Pope as antichrist!). I don’t know why I did not ask…Why? Why? Why?

One of my favorite from Old Testament is Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 which reads as follows:

To everything there is a season,

A time to every purpose under heaven:

A time to be born, and
A time to die;
A time to plant, and
A time to pluck
What is planted;

A time to kill, and
A time to heal;
A time to break down, and
A time to build up;

A time to weep, and
A time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and
A time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and
A time to gather stones;
A time to embrace, and
A time to refrain from embracing;

A time to gain, and
A time to lose;
A time to keep, and
A time to throw away;

A time to tear, and
A time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and
A time to speak;

A time to love, and
A time to hate;
A time of war; and
A time of peace.


So there is a time to die. This thought brought me to another place. Where there is Time and where there is Death. This is from one of the stories from India.

Maharishi (great sage) Vyasa (it is he who divided the Vedas into four) had a devoted pupil. One day he decided to reward him and hence asked

“What do you want?”

“I just want to know when I will die” said the pupil

Vyasa got surprised by his student’s wish and he said

“I will take you to the Lord of Death and you ask this directly to him”

Thus they went to the Lord of the Death, Yama.

But Yama too got surprised by his wish and said:

“I am sorry, It is true that I take away life but it is not me who decides when to do that. I am informed by Lord of the Causes.”

So, they all went to the Lord of Causes and asked the question. He said :

“I too am sorry and it is Lord of Time that tells me and so, we better go to him and ask”

All the time the disciple was last of the retinue since others were highly respected ones.

So, they all went together to meet the Lord of Time, Kal Purush. Lord of Causes told him why they came there.

“Where is the disciple?” asked Kal Purush

They all looked behind and the disciple was missing and found dead at the door step.

So, they asked for an explanation

“It was fated that when he brings all of you here, he will die!!” said Lord of Time…….


Anyway, I don’t think I will die just after posting this blog !!


No comments: