Thursday, February 28, 2008

One 2 One - An appendix

(I got a mail in disagreement with my view of one to one basis. Thank you very much)

Yes, one to one basis may not exclusively mean that one need to talk it out with our doctor. Since AHA was not clear on it, I thought it that way. One can read it as ‘individual basis’. That means, it varies from individual to individual. If somebody is good enough to assess his/her health condition, well, no need to see the doc. Otherwise, may be yes. Coz, the main issue I was talking about was some people taking drinks, then suffering from this and that and then claiming that drinking is good for health, though their body clearly gave indications in its language that it is not comfortable. That sounded silly to me. Coz, being in health does not mean sitting with aches and pains or with a vomiting sensation.


I am not talking about a person who is healthy, comfortable and not allergic to alcohol. One friend I referred is such a person. Whether it is Vodka, gin, beer, whisky, brandy, red wine… be it anything, he won’t get any headache. Once he very badly needed some financial help and I went to meet him personally. He was sitting with a full bottle (750 ml) of whisky, half finished – that is, almost 12 drinks in one stretch. That time his weight was about 90 Kg (almost 198 pounds). If a thin person with 45 kg, takes that much of alcohol in one stretch, its dangerous, or even can become fatal. The quantity of alcohol that can be consumed has something to do with ones built also. And I think that is why AHA specifically told we should consider drinking on a one to one basis. This is applicable to most of the medicines too (though not strictly followed, coz of the standard size of the tablets) and in many cases, that is one of the reasons the docs check your weight and write it on the prescription paper. Though it is the same medicine, the dosage might change according to the weight of the persons.

Anyway, I will edit my previous post and add this up.

No comments: