Sunday, November 09, 2008

Celeb Me

I live in a small physical world. I don’t have any friends or collogues around me. I don’t even have any relatives around me with whom I am in touch with. But that wasn’t the story before I move into this city. I had a life of a normal office going man. That is not the thing. The thing is the BIG people in the life of this little man. Yes, I happened to have some connections (or memories, better put) with some big and small celebrities in my life so far.

Let me keep aside my Guru from this, the biggest global celebrity this century has seen or the celebrity of celebrities. I know he don’t mind that.

There was this film star called Prem Nazir . He was the biggest name in the Malayalam film industry, as an actor. He holds two Guinness records. One for being the lead actor in most number of films (over 700) and another one for acting opposite to same heroine (more than 100 films). I think he is the first celebrity I could see very close. His sister was living in my neighborhood. One day when I was passing that house and there he stands ! It was a real shock and surprise for me. I think it was a private visit and that is the reason why there weren’t any fans or police.

Then this ‘Thikkurissi’ Sukumaran Nair. He was a poet, actor, playwright, orator, film director etc. Though I never was a fan of his, I had the opportunity to see him up close and even visit his house. The other celebrity who is almost like him (writer, actor, lyricist, director etc etc) and I had seen is Balachandra Menon. Once I had been to his house to collect some funds in connection with some social activity.

The poet and lyricist Bichu Thirumala and then this music director Mohan Sithara, they lived in my neighborhood, for sometime. How can I forget Prof.O.N.V.? The great poet, lyricist and professor.. He was my sister’s professor. I had seen him so many times and I used to greet him. Same is the case with Prof.Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri…

My State has a long history of social activity related plays which had strong roots to communism. KPAC was the main drama troupe to mention in this connection. When we remember KPAC, we can’t ignore K.S. George. He lived as my neighbor for sometime and his son, Lezy George was my guitar teacher. He wasn’t just a tutor for me and I used to call him ‘Ichayan’ which means elder brother in Christian community of my State.

Last, but NOT the least comes the international figure. Dr.Jane Goodall, the world known primatologist and anthropologist. She is more known for her 45 years of study of Chimpanzee. I got an opportunity to see her close, when I attended a Science and Spirituality open conference.

Sorry, but I want to ignore the politicians I have seen and even spoken to in my life so far, though one even became a minister…

No comments: