Wednesday, January 02, 2008

May be or May be Not !

I listen to many spiritual talks (from other religions too). The other day, a preacher/teacher/swami whom I respect very much and listen a lot said this “ you listen to that insect, it will tell you….” Well, will it? and can we?

To agree or disagree? I don’t know. Coz, many insects use chemicals for communication and I hardly think we humans are fitted with the receptors and decoders of all such chemicals. His intention is good but I think, we also need to consider the ‘nature’ and ‘instinct’ of insects and animals.

Look at a cow while it is grazing. It has a clear idea which plant or grass is edible and which is not. It won’t eat all the vegetation that comes in its way. And what about humans? We need to learn things from this nature, virtually, almost everything (except to smile… well, these days people learn even that if they want to enter into any beauty competition).

(need to learn – how to speak, cook, swim, read, write, dress, tie the shoe lace, neck tie, cultivate….lets go to a big mall and look around and see all the man made stuffs – there is some special skilled knowledge behind everything we see from pizza to electronic gadgets to polished glass made gift items…. Lets go to a BIG book seller – amazon.com – and see how many books are there…WOW, do we have any idea inside each book? Do we have any idea what is there in our favorite scriptures, if we don’t read it?.... When somebody invents something, it becomes something to be learnt for rest of the world……well the list is tooo long ) .

All other species come to this world as learnt ones; they know everything they are supposed to know. They don’t have to learn anything at all from any schools. They are all naturals. There is a fruit which is very much similar to mango, in my native place. But that is poisonous. And many humans died of eating it by mistake (none of the animals) And people use this to commit suicide.

We humans have got some phobias too. For example, the Arachnophobia, the fear of spiders. How wise it is to ask a person to go and listen to a spider, who has that phobia?

I remember how my father used to deal with (big) spiders. (He was a sort of spiritual and religious man). For example, if the spider is in his bed and he can’t lie down coz of it, he will take a piece of paper or stick or something like that and tap it somewhere near the spider and moves it away. That’s it. And then he sleeps. He doesn’t kill them. He never got bitten by one (but I am). I even not heard of him killing a snake. But I have killed. Well, this reminds of an incident.

This happened about 12 years ago. There were snakes in my then neighborhood. And one night, I came back from work at night and was about to use the rest room, for which we need to enter through the backyard. Then my mom told me this, referring to our neighbor (cousin)

“ they said they saw a snake around this place, so be careful”

Well, as soon as I stepped out I saw something crawling and it was a snake. Then it disappeared. So I took a stick and searched for it. There was a small pile of broken bricks and I finally found it inside it. I could see its head through a hole. But it seemed like the snake looking at me and saying

“No, don’t kill me”

I stared it for a while and the left the place.

May be they can communicate with us, may be not, may be yes, may be not, may be yes, may be not, may be….

No comments: