Tuesday, June 17, 2008

GPRS Dangers!!

No, this is not a technical one about GPRS.

What will happen if the GPRS in our phone doesn’t work? Will it create any major problem? I don’t know what will happen with others. But I can tell what it can cause with me…

I bought a new phone, Nokia E51. My previous phone, the E50 had GPRS but not WiFi. I was bit over happy about the WLAN aspect of my new phone. As soon as I put my SIM in the new phone, at the shop, I got the GPRS settings from my service provider, Vodafone. So, I wasn’t worried about the GPRS thing. All I wanted to do was hurry back home and try the wifi capabilities and then try out how to make a call without SIM.

The WLAN worked fine and hence, I used my wifi for everything and did not try GPRS at all, for which I have to pay (my broadband/wifi is an unlimited account). But next day, I was away from my home and I wished to check my mails and? Oh no! there is something wrong with the GPRS. I started worrying about it, though the handset had one year warranty. With my exposure to softwares and its concepts, I suspected a software problem. But since it’s able to access wifi access points, I was in a dilemma. I called up my service provider first to make sure that there is nothing wrong from their end. Unfortunately, I got a wrong man on the line he told me that it will take 24 hours, which was nonsense. The only positive thing with him was his English with an American accent.

So I waited for 24 hrs. nope, it did not work and my wife started telling that its an issue with the handset. I wasn’t sure whether she was speaking out of her solid software experience or gut feeling. Then comes the most unfortunate part. We all went to attend a house warming ceremony and my wife’s one of the ex-colleagues was holding an E51. She borrowed the handset and tried the GPRS, and it works fine…. I became sad and mad…

We came back home, thought I was listening to my wife and son, my mind was full of GPRS. I am living in this apartment since two years and I know the way to my parking place very clearly. There is a sharp curve (optional, only if you want to try it else it’s a trouble less way) which I used to take. That day also I took that curve and DASHHHHHH I hit something……..

It was a sign board. Was it there all these days? For a moment, I thot it wasn’t there or its position wasn’t the current position. It wasn’t a big hit, my car did not develop any dent, but there was a minor scratch. I love my car and this made me vary sad. I do care for my car and always keeps it in great condition both engine wise and look wise. But……


My wife’s comment was apt “ you and your GPRS….why are you taking it this serious? …”

See, the GPRS can even damage your car…

(Yep, it was a software issue and NOKIA ppl had to reload the Operating System)

No comments: