Thursday, June 12, 2008

How to make a Free Call without SIM

“Can I use that phone?” asked my son
“It doesn’t have a SIM and you need a SIM card to use it” Me
“What is a SIM? What does it do?” he asked

I had to spend some time to make him understand at least some basics of what SIM is. Its not a kiddies’ thing. But after that I thought , do we really need a SIM to make a call or to send a text to somebody? But if I tell that to my son he will get totally confused. I had done such mistakes earlier talking to him some advanced things (like telling him the rarest blood group is not AB negative. Then I had to explain a lot ). So I did not tell about the SIMless call.

Day by day, mobile phone is becoming more and more sophisticated and advanced. My first mobile was a monochrome one and using that all I cud do was make and receive calls, send text and short emails. Now I don’t know whether it even had a calculator or alarm.

In mobile technology, evolution was also revolution. Things changed very fast and these days what we carry in our hand is nothing but a small computer which has Windows or Mac or Symbian or a Motorola running in it, as an operating system. When it became a computer, the merits and demerits too followed it.

If media player, MP3 player, video calls , TV etc came as positives, it was followed by Trojans, spyware, virus etc too. These things work just like how it works in a computer. There are lots of P2P (peer to peer) applications like LimeWire, using which we can search the ‘underground’ and do things. In the same way, there came P2Ps for mobiles too. It is these P2P applications that actually help us make a call even without a SIM card. All we need is a wifi phone installed with one such application and a public access point (some cafés, malls, hotels etc provide it).

One such application is Fring, which was founded by a co-CEO of ICQ (Avi Shechter ) I am not a promoter of it and if anybody want to install it, please read the terms and conditions and its privacy policy VERY CAREFULLY. Using this application, we can even chat with/call our MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk, Skype, AIM, Twitter buddies or even make international calls for free. I personally tried this and it works. How it is done? Instead of me telling how it is done, we can see how it is done with the help of this video :




As a disclaimer, I am not responsible for any data loss or damage of any kind which might happen to anybody who is trying this out. And also, if anybody is having an unsecured wifi at home, their neighbors or even the public might use it as a public access point and even make international calls using the VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). In such case, well, its not my problem…

No comments: