Friday, October 16, 2009

The Last Uncle...Lost

One of my uncles, the youngest sibling of my father passed away, yesterday morning. Now, my mother and all her siblings, my father and all his siblings, they are all gone.

I never had any particular attachment for this uncle of mine. During childhood, the only emotion that I had towards him could be fear. He went in a wrong track as far as spirituality is concerned.( Who am I to judge him or say he was wrong? Well, though I wasn’t attached to him in any way (when I look at the paternal side, I was attached only to the eldest brother of my father), I used to observe him and I saw he quitting his then’ right’ and coming to my then and now ‘right’). Thus he himself created an invisible wall and some visible limits around him. When I was a kid, I wasn’t even allowed to touch him….

I still remember one incident, I had to meet him and address him as ‘Uncle’ (I address him ‘Kochachan’, which means the ‘younger brother of father’) and he spoke:

“Don’t call me uncle; I am not your uncle….”

I felt it ridiculous.

But things changed over years, and when I visited him last time, he was all smiles. I addressed him in the same way ‘Kochacnan’ and he did not show any hesitation but accepted it happily...

Yes, when I think of him now, the last image of him that comes into my mind is his smiling face…

I don’t know where you left, but wherever you are, be at peace…

No comments: