Monday, August 27, 2007

No Taido !

I was bit busy with some other preoccupied things for the last couple of days.

I got a comment and a mail regarding my post related to Taido. The mail does not need any attention since it was an appreciation. Thanks for the mail and comment. I expressed my view or ignorance and others have right to express theirs, with the same logic.

Since I have got friends and relatives in many parts of the world (which includes the U.S and Japan), I have other source than just browsing the net. The very best example is one of my friends providing information about Capoeira, from Brazil.

In any case, I don’t have any particular personal credentials with respect to any form of martial arts. Nor am I a martial arts historian.

(But I was lucky enough to get a kick from our national champion (of one time and of course I fell down) and be a student (for sometime) of a martial artist who then held a 6th Dan Black Belt).

My intention never was to tell that that Taido just copied something from Kalari and thus tarnish the image of Taido. Can I perform some moves of Taido and show the similarity with Kalari? I never said that.

Look at this situation, my Karate master developed some moves of his own (this is for real, he did that). But though he is my master, I won’t agree if he says it is his unique moves. Coz, all his base is his Karate and it originated from his exposure to it.

As far as Kalari is concerned, I was lucky to get acquainted with two of our State/Province champions. How long does it takes to master Karate and get a Black Belt? Below four years, if you are regular and has aptitude. And what about Kalari? When will you master it, in the traditional way? It takes about 10 years! (12 to 14 years, sometimes, even if you are regular and have got aptitude). Kalari can not be easily compared with modern Martial arts like Karate why because they have different approach.

Somebody who is an expert in Kalari is capable of making any move which is possible with a human body. Its emphasis on eye-mind-body co-ordination is very high. It makes you capable of moving the body (hand or legs) where the mind demands/requires it should go/reach. It meets demands of the situation - 100 %

Kalari not only address the defense, attack self discipline etc etc , but it has got a complete idea about the human body. Systematic treatment of injury is part of it (herb based). When combined with traditional Ayurveda, it can even address any form of human disease/illness/injury (from fracture to dandruff !!)

I remember some incidents during my training period. Accidents/injuries happening during training. My Kalari teacher handled it all by himself with his own medicines/techniques and in the second case (Karate), the victim was taken to a hospital for treatment (plus I have personal injury-doc visit experience). That makes a lot of difference. Today, in some Kalaries, many people from all over the world come for treatments for various ailments and rejuvenation.

A well accomplished Kalari Ashan ( a Kalari Teacher) knows what happens when a particular ‘vital point’ of Marma, gets hit. He knows when this person will die with what symptoms, if not treated. He is very much capable telling which part got hit looking at the symptoms and take appropriate action. I have seen them giving minor anesthesia by giving just a tap, as part of treatment. Kalari is not just another martial art; it’s a way of living.

Anybody who has looked into the history of martial arts knows who Bodhidharma is and what was his contribution to martial arts forms of Asia and from where he came from and what his base was.

Capoeira is unique in its own way since music is part and parcel of it. And its moves are different from the traditional left-right-front-back moves. And yes, it looks like they have the three dimensional moves. And it is more original than new brands of Karate with a different name.

Jeet Kune Do has nothing to do with Kung Fu? Aikido?.......

I don’t have any disrespect towards any form of martial arts found in any part of the world. In fact I love them. I respect them. And I am not ‘over proud’/prejudiced of my country’s martial arts. I am not at all partial about it, even I chose Karate over it.

But how many people now know Kalari, in its depth and originality? It did not develop or spread further but went the other way, unfortunately.

No comments: