Thursday, August 23, 2007

Taido

From childhood, I always wished to learn Karate. Though my place is the birth place of the mother of all martial arts, the Kalari Payattu’. Karate had some ‘style’. Kalari Payattu was too traditional. But my dad never allowed me to learn. He did not give me a proper reason for it. May be he was scared that I will get killed or something. And there were some people who spread this kind of message ‘ if you want to join Karate, you need to give a declaration saying even if you die while learning, they are not responsible’

How true it is? Partly it is true, coz, I signed a similar condition where it said, I am learning it at my own risk.

My first attempt to learn any martial art was about 20 years ago. When I become of age, I just joined a ‘Kalari’ – a school that teach Kalari Payattu – and started learning Kalari Payattu. My dad did not show much resistance, mom said, better you don’t come here receiving all the kicks and punches. But it was part of learning any martial arts.

I stopped it before me becoming good at it, after learning it for some months when my martial arts teacher shifted the Kalari to a far away place. Then there was a huge gap of 10 years, and I finally joined a Dojo to learn Karate.

Oooops! My intention wasn’t to write about my learning of martial arts....

I was about to write something else…something about a martial art form which is not that popular in my country or even most of the other countries (though it is practiced in Japan, Sweden, Finland, Portugal, Denmark, France, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Australia and the USA)…….. It is called Taido, and some even call it as the martial art of the 21st century.

Many of us are familiar (heard about) with most popular martial art forms like:

Boxing, Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Judo, Ju Jitsu, Aikido, capoeira etc etc. but most of the people I know, don’t have any idea about Taido.

Taido originated in Japan, just like Karate. Founded by Seiken Shukumine about 40 years ago and it is based on Okinawan Karate . The major change (The usual moves are left, right , back front one) he made into his new form of martial art was the introduction of ‘three dimensional’ moves. This is implemented by spinning and twisting moves.

But all these moves are there in Kalari Payattu, which originated thousands of years ago. So back to basics?

2 comments:

Linasolopoesie said...

GOOD Day!!
Beginning the day with visiting the blog of blogger because it appeals to a lot to read for case to me is found me in yours.
But with written sorrow I cannot read yours because I do not understand the language, I imagine chisĂ  how many beautiful things you have written. I have three bloh and narrated an other to you I have postato the photos of all my family then that one of poetries
they are not young and therefore step the time writing
You want to visit ilmio blog? of I would be much happy one….I waited for to you….Thanks linen

Andy Fossett said...

It is interesting that you have come to know Taido, as there are no Taido instructors on India. I'm assuming that you discovered it via the internet.

I'm curious then how you can say with certainty that all of the moves are present in Kalari. Many Capoeristas have made similar claims before. Even if you are correct, I would not say that any of the three was "basic." Indeed the movements are quite sophisticated.

However, the truly major difference between Taido and most older Japanese martial arts is that Taido's techniques arise from its principles. Before Taido, Aikido was the only art of which I am aware that began with ideas and creates techniques from those. The vast majority of martial arts begin as collections of techniques, from which principles are extrapolated. Thus Taido takes an opposite approach to most martial arts.

That said, Taido's techniques are unique not only in their origins, but also in the process by which they develop in action. All of the physical attacks and defenses arise from footwork and include integrated methods for reacting to the opponents' movements. Though there are basic forms for practice purposes, true Taido technique is improvised with regard to the demands of the situation.