Friday, August 15, 2008

Akhil Kumar and Independence Day

Its Independence Day today. Commemoration of country’s 61 years of independence.

What is special about today?

It really was a special day coz of Olympic games. Our boxer Akhil Kumar had a bout with present world champion Russia's Sergey Vodopyanov (54 kg bantam weight category). Today morning I read a statement by Akhil :

“It’s a sheer coincidence that my crucial bout coincides with India’s Independence Day. I am someone who is very emotional about my country and I have to rise to the occasion”

The whole day, I was waiting for this match and when they entered the ring, the commentator declared Sergey as the probable winner. Akhil looked calm and composed. He has nothing to lose coz he is fighting with world champion and everybody already written him off.

But after sometime, the commentator had no choice but to say “so far the best fight we have seen in this Olympics” and the result? Akhil defeated the world champ!




Congratulations a ton Akhil !! keep up the spirit and all the best for your coming events. The whole nation is behind you (hey, never mind those anti-Indians who live in India). We all are proud of you.

And please accept my personal best wishes for making my day a special day…

No comments: