Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Phelps Factor

I learnt swimming (the basics) some 3 months ago. But I had referred lots of videos of professional swimmers. And one among them was Michael Phelps. No need to say that I became a big fan of him. I cheered for him during the Olympic races and I wanted him to win (well, I also wanted Cullen Jones to win medals but I don’t know why he did not participate in most of the events. AND YES, I DID NOT LIKE THE MEDIA NOT MISSING ANY CHANCE TO REFER HIM AS 'COLORED', 'AFRO AMERICAN' AND 'BLACK'). No wonder he is called the human dolphin. The only Olympian with 8 Gold in a single Games.

When I watch sports, I usually don’t keep any statistics in my mind. I just enjoy that moment. Same with Phelps and his swimming too. I don’t remember any of his timing or what the margin was between him and the second place guy. But I remember that in one of the events, he won with very small margin and it was bit controversy. It is said that Michael’s timing was just hundredth of a second ahead of the person reached second. That means, with naked eyes we cant say who won. I don’t remember who the second guy was but I really appreciate him. Coz, beating Phelps is not an easy task. Why? Coz Phelps is not a ‘normal’ swimmer. And some people hence think it’s not fair. So what are the specialties of Phelps which makes him a super human?

It is reported that in an interview he said he usually takes about 10,000 calories a day. When I browsed for the details (of what he eats), it became 12,000-14,000! (A normal man needs 2000 calories per day) Now, a sports nutrition expert (Director of Sports nutrition, university of Pittsburgh) says its impossible for a human to take 10,000 calories a day. I don’t know whom to believe.

His height is 6 ft and 4 inches (193 cm) but when he spreads his hand, the distance between finger to finger is 6 ft 7 inches, which is not normal (coz it is supposed to be equal or slightly longer (but not this long) to the height). How this helps him in swimming? Usually a swimmer need at least 12 strokes to cover 25 meters (which is the standard length for small pools seen in apartment complex, which are not used for professional swimming) and Phelps need only 8 !



His torso is longer (height and torso ratio) than any other swimmer, which helps him ‘move like a fish’ within the water. He has flat foot and he can turn his enormous foot (size 14) 15 degrees further than any other swimmier which helps him to stream better.


He has knees with hypermobility. Hence he can stretch his knee further than normal. Using all these special features, he can kick off the wall and move very fast underwater than any other swimmer (I think now there is some restriction regarding how long (there is a maximum limit (distance) allowed) a swimmer can swim underwater).

His heart pumps 30 liters of blood a minute which is twice that of a normal man. And what about the lactic acid production which is the main cause for muscle burn outs?

His body produces only one third of it compared to other swimmers. When measured after a race, his lactic acid levels were same as a person who is relaxed.

But what about this guy on dry land? Well, mainly coz of some of those special features, he is very clumsy !


So who can beat his records? I am waiting for the next Olympics so that I can see he re-writing the Olympic history.

No comments: