Monday, October 27, 2008

Deepavali - The Festival Of Lights..

Today is Deepavali or Diwali. A festival a child can never forget in his life, even for a grown up child. It is the festival of lights but what stays in the head is the firecrackers. Though I was engaged till 7.45 pm today, after that I joined my son to burst crackers. I just sat there and watched since I am not able to walk fast or run, just in case its needed since its with fire and crackers we are playing with. That sitting brought lots of memories of this festival.

Apart from the new variants of firecrackers, one major difference between the old days and new days is the cost of these stuffs. Unbelievable, but one has to believe. I have never seen anything in this world priced like this. If something is to be sold at 20 bucks (inclusive of margin/profit) in this case, its priced as 100 bucks, at least. That is the maximum retail price. The funny thing is everyone knows that it wont cost that much, coz it cant be. So, shops offer at least 75% discount ! very funny. In my childhood, this practice was not there.

It is a festival which signifies the victory of good over evil. Whether its about Lord Krishna winning over the demonic Narakasura or Lord Rama returning to Ayodhya after 14 years, there is not much difference. I liked the Rama returning thing, though its mostly a north Indian belief. I can imagine how the Ayodhya city looked like since the people welcomed him with lamps, lots and lots of lamps..

The environment in our complex was so festive. It was colorful and people looked happy and smiling. Kids were jumping and running. And then boom boom boom.

Yes, its Deepavali today, the festival of lights, but not JUST festival of LIGHTS, its more than that, a little more deep…

No comments: