Sunday, October 26, 2008

WinZip Alternative

I get technical (computer related) questions from some of my friends and acquaintances, just like I ask about stuffs I don’t know but they know. Many a times it helped me understand some concepts better, or made me think, or sometimes it even demanded some research from my side. It can be useful to others also. So, I thought me blog a couple of them.

Q: I use WinZip evaluation copy.. Can you get me a serial? Is there any other software I can use?

A: It’s not a big deal to get a serial for your WinZip. Yes, there are many WinZip alternatives. If you are not specific about WinZip, I suggest you to ditch the idea of getting a serial and go for an alternative. Why don’t you try 7 Zip? It has three major advantages over WinZip.

It’s free.
It takes 80% less space (WinZip12 takes about 14 MB space where as 7 zip takes less than 3 MB).
Its open source.

If you want high compression rate, you can go for KGB Achiever. Its purpose is not to compress small text files and hence its not resource friendly.

No comments: