Sunday, December 07, 2008

Beauty, Handsome and a Beholder

I am one such person who believes that there exist different types of people in this world. Not just people (and their shape) but culture, eating habit, the way they dress ….. every aspect of human life. And I study people too. This is my blog and I can write whatever I want. But this is not a place to criticize any particular person, especially my friends. But still, there are some limits, right?

Among the people types around me, mostly it is ‘I don’t care’ types. So whenever I end-up in situations where they show the ‘I don’t care’ attitude, I won’t get surprised. But this time, it was a surprise, a real surprise.

It is said that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But dose it men that there is no ‘international standard’ for it? Yesterday I thought about it bit seriously.

Yes, there are different types of people in this world and their view on beauty can be different. I have seen girls cutting short their beautiful hair and trying to make it ‘more beautiful’. I personally don’t like women sporting men’s hair style. In some cases, when they cut it too short, some people even look like as if they are mentally ill. God did not make any mistake by giving women more hair than men (and He keeps that hair from getting bald too- in general).

Coming back to the ‘beauty is in the eyes of the beholder’ thing and the surprise element. I happened to talk about a Pilipino movie, its actor and its actress to a Pilipino lady. The lead actor or hero was John Lloyd Cruz opposite to Sarah Geronimo. I introduced John as one of the most handsome Pilipino and Sarah as a beautiful and cute lady. Then came the real surprise.

“I don’t think he is that handsome” she was referring to John
“I don’t think Sarah is cute”. She wasn’t even convinced of Sarah’s beauty.

I know some people who don’t like Filipinos. If the comment was from one such person, it wasn’t a surprise, but this is from a Filipino itself.

I am not a gay and hence I don’t get attracted to men in that angle. If John is not handsome, who is handsome? If john is not a handsome Pilipino, no man in this world is handsome. For me, it’s as simple as that.

John

If I am remembering correctly, the person who made this surprising comment considers herself as beautiful. I wanted to convince myself before I write this. So I did a small exercise.

In my social network portal, I have about 124 acquaintances. Out of that, over 100 of them are Filipinos. I checked each and every profile and then, many of their friends (my secondary acquaintances). I did not find a guy as handsome as John. There were beautiful girls but I wasn’t looking for the Gemma Atkinson (or Pamela) aspect of Sarah. That aspect is not that which makes a girl cute.

Sarah

I got convinced myself that Sarah Geronimo IS a beautiful Filipina without any doubt. And we need to accept another fact that she was voted as the third most beautiful woman in her country (in 2006).

And I got convinced that beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder…

But still, there is a limit, no?

No comments: