Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Craig Ewert and A Suicide That Sold Out..

Around the world, reality shows are very popular, these days. The other day there happened one such show in a British TV (Sky TV’s Real Lives digital channel). Nobody ever saw such a reality show in their life. It was a suicide. An assisted suicide, to be precise. It (the documentary) was directed by an Oscar winning director, John Zaritsky.

Craig Ewert, a Computer Scientist from the US underwent an assisted suicide in a Swiss euthanasia clinic. His wife was with him, by his side. He was suffering from a degenerative neuron disease which destroys cells that control essential muscle activity such as speaking, walking, breathing and swallowing. He he wanted to televise his death.

He said:

“If I go through with it, I die as I must at some point, If I don’t go through with it, my choice is essentially to suffer, and to inflict suffering on my family, and then die.”

“Some people might say no, suicide is wrong, God has forbidden it. Fine, but you know what? This ventilator is God.”

“I see the plants, and they’re dying, and I’m dying too..” “They’ll be coming back next spring — I’m unlikely to.”

“I think I can take my bow, and say: Thanks, it’s been fun.”

“I would hope that this is not a cause of major distress to those who love me, this is a journey I must make.”

“My dear sweet wife will have the greatest loss, as we have been together for 37 years in the greatest intimacy.”

Yes, he has reasons and it has a message too.

And says his wife:

“He was keen to have it shown because when death is hidden and private, people don’t face their fears about it..”

As a last thing, before he died, his wife told him, with tears:

“Have a safe journey, see you sometime.”

(This really touched my heart and made me sad…I think she loved him very much)

And the Director of the documentary, John Zaritsky said it would have been “less than honest” to make the film without showing the actual suicide because it would have left viewers wondering if the death was unpleasant, cruel, or carried out against Ewert’s will.

Obviously, there were some protests and some even called the TV as ‘Suicide TV’.

Hope somebody will not hire some television crew tomorrow and do a live suicide by hanging from the ceiling fan! Coz the media is ready do anything that sells…..

(May Craig Ewert's soul rest in peace. God bless! )

No comments: